The Importance and Benefits of Cord Blood Banking

This post is sponsored by Cord Blood Registry ® (CBR ®), but the opinions expressed here are my own.

The Importance and Benefits of Cord Blood Registry #CordBloodRegistry

To begin with, I believe it is safe to announce My Latina Journey has incorporated motherhood and pregnancy into their categories. In all honesty, pregnancy is a massive part of my everyday life. Therefore, I find it simple to include these topics. With that being said, I’d like to let you know why I am considering cord blood banking aka newborn stem cell preservation.

As first time parents we are currently overwhelmed with the amount of decisions that have to be made in the next couple of weeks. Cord Blood Registry (CBR) is helping us get started with the decision to cord blood bank, as they’re here to offer us the necessary education in relation to newborn stem cells for our parenting journey.

The Importance and Benefits of Cord Blood Registry #CordBloodRegistry

How to Get Set up with CBR:

1. Enroll with CBR online at cordblood.com/enroll or call 1-888-240-1996
  2. CBR ships you a collection kit
  3. Bring your kit to the hospital on your big day
  4. Call the medical courier after your baby is born and the cord blood has been collected by your healthcare professional
  5. Relax. CBR handles the rest and will notify you when the kit has been received.

CLICK HERE to learn more about CBR and get a promo code for $200 OFF initial fees when you fill out your info.

The Importance and Benefits of Cord Blood Registry #CordBloodRegistry

What are cord blood stem cells?

Cord blood stem cells have been used for 30 years in the treatment of over 80 serious diseases, such as certain blood cancers, immune and metabolic disorders, and hematologic conditions. Research is underway for the use of cord blood in conditions that have no cure today, like autism, hearing loss, and cerebral palsy. Preserving your newborn’s stem cells may give your child or an immediate family member, depending on the condition and other factors, the opportunity to use this resource for current cord blood therapies. In the future, there may be other potential applications, like regenerative medicine.*

Who is CBR?

CBR is a newborn stem cell preservation company that has been around for over 20 years. Every parent wants the best for their child’s future, and CBR is a resource for new parents in many ways. When you choose to preserve your newborn’s stem cells with CBR, families not only have access to their child’s sample for potential future use, but they also have access to a dedicated team of genetic counselors who can answer questions about stem cell preservation in the context of your unique family history. CBR also invests in the future of stem cell science with their Family Health Registry, which aims to better understand the conditions most common to CBR families and helps connect them to relevant research. Extra perks are their social community and their blog with helpful posts on everything from pregnancy nutrition, to a hospital go-bag list, to parenting tips.

The Importance and Benefits of Cord Blood Registry #CordBloodRegistry

Being able to preserve the stem cells from Baby C is something that we have discussed and are interested in. CBR believes every family should have the opportunity to preserve their newborn’s stem cells. That’s why they offer affordable payment options to fit almost every family budget. There is also a gift registry opiton where friends and family can contribute towards the cost of banking. As a result, I hope to be able to incorporate CBR into our plans in the next couple of weeks.

1. Catvills
    June 24, 2018 / 3:48 AM

The process of stem cell/cord blood banking is something new parents must take into consideration, especially if there is a family history of serious illnesses. If this was widely available when my kids were born, I would’ve taken advantage of it. I understand that the cost of banking may cost quite a bit, but if it is to ensure that our child’s health will be taken care of in the future, then cost would not be an issue.

2. June 24, 2018 / 12:21 PM

I’ve heard Cord Blood Registry can be expensive, but I think it is so worth it. The registry can help with research, which makes it a worthwhile investment.

3. June 25, 2018 / 9:42 AM

🙁 I didn’t do it with my kids as it wasn’t big 14 years ago.

4. June 25, 2018 / 9:55 AM

I’ve heard a mix review on cord blood registry and that it was expensive and a lot of work goes into it before you actually have your child. I’ve personally never done it, because of those reasons.

5. June 27, 2018 / 9:35 AM

I love that the company takes care of everything for you. It’s so comforting that cord blood could help your child in the future.

6. July 5, 2018 / 6:19 AM

I love how cord cells are being used for research on diseases, I hope, someday will not be part of our world.

7. valerie christie
    July 5, 2018 / 9:43 AM

This is an informative post and one that is not always talked about. You shared some great tips and resources for those who are in need or are considering this service. All the best to you and your family!

8. July 5, 2018 / 9:45 AM

I wish I had saved my kid’s cord blood. The process sounds so easy. Makes you wonder if my friend’s kid’s cancer could have been helped by this treatment.

9. Philly
    July 5, 2018 / 11:52 AM

It wasn’t avaliable with my first 2 children but if I was to have a 3rd I would defintely consider this now.

10. July 5, 2018 / 12:25 PM

I think this is so important to do! I wish I had done it with my kids, but there wasn’t as much known about it then.

11. Marriah Tarango
    July 5, 2018 / 12:33 PM

I’ve never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing this information!

12. July 5, 2018 / 3:19 PM

This is really interesting, I have to admit I don’t know much about cord banking though it seems to be something more people are looking to do.

13. Kayla
    July 5, 2018 / 6:40 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes. This is such an important topic to talk about. Stem cells can do some AMAZING things. Although I didn’t personally cord bank, because things were a little chaotic with this last one, I fully support it and think its such an awesome thing to do.

14. Emma Riley
    July 5, 2018 / 9:53 PM

I have never heard about cord blood registry before but it looks safe to do and it sounds good that it can be use in the treatment of many diseases.

15. July 6, 2018 / 9:04 AM

thank you for sharing this, i would like to look into this in the future, it sounds safe

16. July 6, 2018 / 4:22 PM

I really wish I had done this with my pregnancies but I never did. I’ve heard so many great things about it.

17. Nadj
    July 6, 2018 / 7:18 PM

Cord blood banking is still very new to most parents here in the Philippines. Reading informative posts like this will help soon to be parents to make an important decision for their child.

18. Ada
    July 6, 2018 / 10:00 PM

Wow such amazing information. I haven’t ever really looked into anything like this before but I definitely see the benefits from doing it.

19. July 7, 2018 / 6:28 AM

I had never heard of cord blood before. This is so useful and informative! so good to know!

20. July 7, 2018 / 8:52 AM

It is so wonderful that CBR is providing so much information and making it so easy! I wish it would have been this easy when my babies were born.

21. Jessica Taylor
    July 7, 2018 / 10:29 AM

I love the idea of this! I didnt hear about this when I was pregnant but I wish I would have been more informed.

22. July 7, 2018 / 12:10 PM

I would never have imagined that this type of company would exist to help families with their future health. Is this kind of service covered by any insurance or does it need to be solely paid for by the families?

23. July 8, 2018 / 12:36 AM

I’ve never heard of something like that! Sounds really cool. I’m not a mama yet, or I’m not planning to be anytime soon, but when the time comes I’ll make sure to give this a further look! Thanks for the information!

24. July 8, 2018 / 9:58 AM

It is so good to see that you have written about this. I am sure every to-be-mother should consider CBR.

25. July 8, 2018 / 1:47 PM

I agree that is a really important thing to do for our kids. I wish I did that when i had my baby boy.

26. July 9, 2018 / 10:51 AM

When I was expecting Cord Blood Registry wasn’t available and I don’t even think it was something talked about. I’m glad it’s an option for new parents and you are taking advantage of it.