The Common Myths About Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive

Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LetsTalkPlanB #CollectiveBias #Ad

The Common Myths About Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive #LetsTalkPlanB

In recent months, I have started to incorporate content that is more personal, informative, and useful. With that being said, Plan B One-Step is a topic I believe to be an useful resource for women. Therefore, I wanted to dispel the common myths regarding the emergency contraceptive pill. Also, Plan B One-Step can easily be found at a nearby Target.

The Common Myths About Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive #LetsTalkPlanB

The Most Common Myths about Plan B One-Step

• It’s Abortion – Often times, people confuse emergency contraceptives with medication abortion pills. However, they are not the same thing at all. Plan B will prevent a pregnancy before it happens by delaying ovulation! Therefore, it is not abortion by any means.
  • Morning After Pill – Yes, Plan B is the most effective within the first 24 hours of unprotected sex. But, the product is also effective within 24-72 hours after unprotected sex. Keep in mind, the odds are much better than not taking anything at all after unprotected sex.
  • Harms Fertility – There is no evidence that taking the Plan B emergency contraceptive affects fertility. In other words, this emergency contraceptive is a safe and effective backup option to prevent an accidental pregnancy in case you had unprotected sex or contraceptive failure.

Additional Information

• The active ingredient, levonorgestrel, is the same ingredient in many common birth control pills – just at a higher, single dose.
  • Plan B works mainly by delaying ovulation – it helps to prevent pregnancy BEFORE it begins.
  • It is not an abortion pill and it will not affect an existing pregnancy.
  • It is not meant to be used as your regular birth control and it doesn’t protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
  • You do not need an ID or prescription to purchase and there is no age restriction

The Common Myths About Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive #LetsTalkPlanB

Keep in mind, the emergency contraception pill is an important option for all women and their family planning efforts. Half of the women who use Plan B are 18-24 and the other half are 25+. With that being said, there is a common misperception that it’s younger women who use the product but that is just not true. Starting a family should be a decision not an accident. In the past, I have used Plan B One-Step to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Today, I am glad the emergency contraceptive was available because it gave me the opportunity to have control over my future. It is a without a doubt that I highly recommend women to inform themselves further about the ECP.

– The following coupon is available for $10 off of your Plan B One-Step purchase –

The Common Myths About Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive #LetsTalkPlanB

1. August 18, 2018 / 7:29 AM

It’s good to write about this since some girls don’t really know how it works !
    Great to share !! xx

2. August 18, 2018 / 8:18 AM

I agree that starting a family should be a decision, not an accident. It’s good to know all of the options but the best option is not being in the situation for a “mistake” in the first place because you are prepared.

3. August 18, 2018 / 8:59 AM

Your courage in sharing, is quite admirable. The information you provided is surely worth an interest.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:08 AM

In all honesty, as women we need to help each other out.

4. Joanna
    August 19, 2018 / 7:59 AM

I think that it’s a good thing that this kind of pills exist on the market and that there are options in case an “accident” happens. I’m sure they don’t harm your body if they are taken once in a blue moon. However, one shouldn’t rely on them and not use protection.

5. August 19, 2018 / 9:41 AM

It is so important for all of us, but especially those of us Latinos, to make sure we create an open dialogue about sex and contraceptives. Thanks for taking the time to create this post.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:08 AM

An open dialogue regarding sex and contraceptives is a must.

6. August 19, 2018 / 7:18 PM

Things happen in every relationship or even non-relationship. Stuff happens. It’s good to know that there is something out there to help a spur of the moment decision or maybe something far darker before an unwanted pregnancy happens. You’re very brave to post this because I know that this could backslide too. Women in the days before this pill had more lethal ways to try to stop a pregnancy from happening and this is so much safer.

7. August 20, 2018 / 5:26 AM

Amazing post! I am glad someone posted info about the Plan B method. People should know more about this in my opinion. Thank you so much for sharing. I just hope we have this in our country too. Too bad it is so conservative.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:09 AM

Without a doubt, Plan B should be a resource all women know of.

8. Hannah Marie
    August 20, 2018 / 5:34 AM

I have heard about emergency pills back in College. Our professor discuss about it’s dosage. If I have to, I think I might use thus pills as well.

9. August 20, 2018 / 5:03 PM

I have a friend who asked about Plan B earlier this month. I didn’t know much about it to offer her my insight. This post will come in handy. I’ll be sure to share with her.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:09 AM

Thank you for sharing the post with friends.

10. August 20, 2018 / 7:42 PM

Some great tips here! The Plan B needs to be spoken of more!

11. Rosey
    August 21, 2018 / 9:05 PM

I haven’t heard of it before. I can see how people would think it’s mostly younger people using it though.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:10 AM

In the end, what’s important is that women are informed of their options.

12. August 21, 2018 / 9:32 PM

I really thought it was harmful to fertility.

13. Becca Wilson
    August 22, 2018 / 1:35 PM

This was so very informative. There are so many people that believe that this is frivolous. Maybe someone forgot their birth control pill one night? Didnt want kids? This is such a great option to have out there.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:10 AM

This is a great alternative for those who are not ready to start a family.

14. August 22, 2018 / 10:56 PM

I learn new info about the way it works. Since it delays ovulation does it delay your period too?

15. August 23, 2018 / 1:33 AM

Lovely to see there are people so open to talk about it! Thanks for sharing 😉

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:10 AM

I am always open to the opportunity to talk about subjects that help other women.

16. August 23, 2018 / 7:59 AM

Thanks for the tips and information. This will help a lot of people to learn something new

17. August 23, 2018 / 10:13 AM

Appreciate you sharing. I worked in the public health field and I think it’s so important to have knowledge about this.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:11 AM

Yes, spreading knowledge is also important.

18. August 23, 2018 / 12:23 PM

I’m glad these are out there. Not everyone is ready to start a family. Especially when you have a one night stand with a guy who ends up being a jerk. Everyone should know about these!

19. Ally
    August 23, 2018 / 12:48 PM

Such interesting information about this form of contraception. I have heard of plan B before, but never heard this much about it!

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:11 AM

One of the reasons I decided to share more about this topic is due to the lack of knowledge women have on it.

20. August 23, 2018 / 8:51 PM

Thank you for this information. It’s nice that more and more people are learning about reproductive health in a mature and informed manner as pregnancy is not to be taken lightly.

21. Princess Quinn
    August 24, 2018 / 12:53 AM

I have not tried Plan B family planning pills. But, knowing that emergency pills are doubled in dose, it gives me a peace of mind that I am sti8ll in control of things.

• Betzy Cuellar
      Author
      October 10, 2018 / 9:12 AM

Having control of when to start a family is a decision we should all have as women.